Bill of materials:
1 x Raspberry Pi model B rev2 (The latest version with 512 MB RAM, this version doesn’t have any issues with usb wifi dongles)
1 x USB to serial adapter
1 x usb wifi dongle
1. Download and install the latest raspbian image from official raspberry pi website http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
2. Finish the initial configuration
3. Update repositories for available packages
- sudo apt-get update
4. Install minicom
- apt-get install minicom
5. Configure minicom
First we have to locate the proper serial device
- find /dev | grep ttyUSB
Note down the result and proceed with minicom configuration
- minicom –s -> Serial port setup
- Change setting A – Serial Device
/dev/modem to /dev/ttyUSB0
(in place of ttyUSB0 enter the device listed from find /dev | grep ttyUSB)
- Change setting E – Bps/Par/Bits
Most common bitrate is 9600
- When done save configuration
6. Next we have to setup wireless connection
- The easy way is to open the window manager with startx command and then open the wpa_gui tool.
- The hard to way is to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file
- Use the below link as reference:
7. Access raspberry pi with your favourite ssh client
- A good practice is to always change the default root and pi user passwords to avoid any security issues.
- Insert minicom inthe last line of ~/.bashrc to have minicom running on startup.
- Add a static IP to raspberry pi to be easier to access it.